Friday, May 23, 2014

Ballin' Birthday

Clever title of the post huh?! If you know me, you know how much I enjoy birthdays. I just simply
can't get enough of them. So what better way to celebrate my best
friends birthday today than with a blog post. HAPPY BIRTHDAY KOB! Kobe and
I have only known each other for about 1 1/2 years...before that we
both hated each other playing basketball in high school ;) (you think I'm kidding...) So today I
wanted to share with you one of the many things I have learned from her.

I can still remember hearing her say to me on almost a daily occasion,
"Court, there's more to life than basketball you know?". Whether it be
after a frustrating practice, thinking it was the end of the world when we lost, missing a cultch shot,
or the very last game I would ever play with a snow college jersey on...I
could always count on her to lighten the situation.

Now my response was usually something like, "kob, I KNOWWWW" with an
annoyed tone. But she had a point. Is basketball going to be here for
me when no one else is? No. Am I going to go pro and make
basketball my career? Of course not. So why make such a big deal about
something that is only going to be here for you temporally?


 You can look at a lot of things in life this same way. Whether it be
sports, technology, work, ect. The question I like to ask myself is
this: IS WHAT I AM DOING GOING TO BRING ME TEMPORARY HAPPINESS, OR
LASTING JOY?
Now, the difference between temporary happiness and lasting joy. Yes a lot
of things give us happiness in life...I will forever love basketball. What I'm NOT saying is that basketball is a sin! I truly believe that some things that bring temporary happiness are good for us such as sports. But sometimes these things that are temporary seem like they are what life
is all about. I know that there is so much more to life than just
those things that bring satisfaction in the moment.

Doing what's right may not always seem fun in the moment, but you will
receive the most joy in the long term for putting God first and
obeying his commandments. As we learn from King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon, those who will keep the commandments of God will receive both temporal and spiritual happiness. (Mosiah 2:41) Happiness is a personal choice. WE CHOOSE TO BE HAPPY! Whether we realize it or not. True happiness is here for all, it up to us to have the correct attitude. Ever meet that one person who seems like everything in their life is going the wrong way, but yet they are still happy about their trials? BE THAT PERSON! I'm grateful for the agency I have to choose how I think, act, and become.

Thank you kob for helping teach me this
important concept to life. Have a crazy fun bday cause you never know when you're next 20th birthday will be :)

If you want to read more into happiness, read this talk! https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2005/10/true-happiness-a-conscious-decision?lang=eng&query=joy+verses+happiness But if you are lazy and want a summary in 4 words, I have your back! Ready?
Happiness comes to those who:

BELIEVE, 




Desire

 

 
Decide



Choose


 

 
 

 

 
 

 

 
 

 

 
 

 

 
 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 
 

 
 


 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment