Thursday, May 8, 2014

Meet my Mom

The other day we were over at a members house for dinner. They have a
10 year old child and as we went through dinner I noticed how well
behaved this child was. He opened the door for us, said please and
thank you every time he asked for something, and even offered to set
the table! I know...what kind of a kid does that right?! I asked the
parents how they raised their child to be like that and the moms
response wasn't really what I was expecting but makes total sense.
What she said was "I treat him how I want him to treat me. And I give him a hug each morning he wakes up and throughout the day." What great
advice!

Since we go into a lot of different houses as a mission, I am lucky
enough to see how different parenting takes place and take bits a
pieces out of each home hat I want to implement in my own home. The #1
thing I have noticed is that most if not all the time, the child will
treat the mom how they see their dad treat the mom. Which makes me
realize how grateful I am for my dad as well. But he has to wait for
his own post next month :) Anyways, back to the point...

I don't think I realized growing up how blessed I was with the mom I
have. That is one of the biggest reasons I know there actually is a
God who loves us and watches out for us. Because he places us in the
families we are meant to be in...and he definitely nailed mine :)
 


 As some of you may know, Mother's Day is quite the holiday as a
missionary. It is one of two times a years I will get to skype home
and talk to my family! Yeah crazy rule huh? The purpose is just so we
are focused on what we are here to do...help others gain a
relationship with our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. It makes since
now that I'm in the shoes of a missionary because it would be a
distraction from the work I only have 18 months to do.

I got to skype home last Christmas to talk to them as well, and to be
honest, I was a little nervous! All these emotions were running
through my head.
                                      - I'm suppose to be a perfect missionary!
                         - What if they think I haven't grown spiritually?
                         - What the heck do I even say...it's only 45 minutes!
                         - Am I already an "awkward" missionary?
                         - And my biggest fear- Am I going to cry???


Trust me...I could keep going! But as I continued to think about it
and I do now, it's JUST my family! They love me and I love them so
just act myself! Simple as that.

The relationship I hold with my mom is very important to me. And I
think we have had that bond because of the way she treated me while
raising me...I can act myself around her. I feel comfortable. Her
voice echos in my head as I remember the thousands of times she
ingrained the words "WORK BEFORE PLAY" in my head. And just as many
eye rolls came as I would jump on in before she could even finish.
"ORK BEFORE PLAY...yes mom...I KNOW!" BUT, now I am so grateful that I
was raised by someone who knows the importance of motherhood and takes
the role of it seriously, but is still someone who knows how to have
fun.

So I decided to write a short thankful list to my mom as I hope all of
you will do as well. Trust me...it'll be he best thing you give to her
this Mother's Day!

I'm grateful for:
-Her hugs (trust me, I miss those a lot right now!)
-Her homemade Red velvet cake frosting
-Her sitting with me to force me to practice the piano everyday
-The late night Dairy Queen runs for mister missy floats
-The one and only game she gets competitive at...POUNCE!
-Her back rubs to keep me awake in church!
-Her being there every day I got home from school or practice.
And lastly, -All the countless hours she puts into making sure I am
the "spoiled" youngest child I am suppose to live up to :)
 


 Love you mom and I can't wait to talk to you in TWO days :)
 
Sister Duncan
 

No comments:

Post a Comment