Thursday, May 29, 2014

I LOVE ND!

 

Before we begin, let me explain the picture-my dad's name is not Napolean Dynomite...it's Neuman Duncan! But yes, he's cool enough to have shirts made of him :) Now on to the point...IT'S MY DAD'S BIRTHDAY TODAY!!!


At a ripe old age of 8, I started my blooming career in the field of...lawn mowing. Duncan Lawn Care is what we called ourselves...unique I know. Blame it on my brother, he thought of it! This weekly family outing every Saturday taught me A LOT about work. I don't know
how my dad got away with having us to child manual labor...but he did
and I'm now grateful for it. Just being able to see
over the lawn mowers handle bars, mini Sister Duncan first started out on my own
lawn so people didn't yell at me when I hit a sprinkler head, or
edged the grass to short. Eventually, it was a full day of work
 waking up early and finishing just before dinner.

People would always tell me how hard of a worker my dad was but being
surrounded by it all growing up, I was a little numb to it. It was
just normal to me.Now looking back after ALL my years of expertise, I
can see what they mean!

 Since my dad wasn't shy about embarrassing his little girl bragging to
coaches, church friends, co workers, ect about me, I'm going to get
back at you now and brag to the blog world about some of the few
things I love about you!

-I happened to get parents who's genes are BOTH very stubborn and like
to do things on their own...so when it comes to him teaching me
sports, I will easily admit he taught me everything...but it also came
with a price tag for him! He's a champ!

 -He taught me how to be "coachable" as he would say. But basically how
to respect people in general and to help me understand that I'm not
always the right one.

 -He always provided for his children's needs but didn't "spoil" us. This
one is controversial with he rest of my siblings...As I was the only
one who got a cell phone in high school. But I was a junior so I waited long enough! Plus it took me a whole summer of just shooting free throws to earn it :) Anyways, that doesn't matter-thanks for the phone dad!

-He worked hard so he could support me in what I wanted to do and helped me reach my goals whether it be school, sports, a mission, music, or just life in general!

-This one is actually one of my favorites. A lot of things you can buy with money, but he showed his love to me by spending time with me. He was there with me. Whether it be teaching me how to pull weeds, how to drive to the hoop strong, or by watching every single BYU football and basketball with me. He attended almost every single sporting and music activity I had. Think about that. Hundreds, maybe thousands of games throughout my life. Even in college! He drove to Kansas to watch me sit on the bench...that's dedication right there! :)

I could go on and on but the main point is, I LOVE MY DAD. I love what he taught me. I love the way he treats me. I love that he truly wants the best for me. I didn't always love the advice he gave me...but now I do! Whether you have father here on earth, a fatherly influence, a father in heaven like we all do, or all three, Please go have a conversation with them and ask for their advice. I'm sure my dad would have loved me coming to him more often to have talks with him. Same with our Father in Heaven, he is more than willing to help us out. He wants to! He is just waiting for us to come ask.

I'm grateful that my dad takes his calling as a dad seriously but also makes life fun. I'm grateful that I have him as a worthy priesthood holder in our home. How blessed are we that the authority Christ had and gave to his apostles to perform ordnances such as baptism, is here on the earth today?! And that my dad holds that same authority! And I'm so grateful for his willingness to always be ready to use that authority and serve others. Love you dad, and thank you again for everything! Have a spectacular birthday-I won't tell anyone how young you are!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment