Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Cherry Blossoms and Jesus Christ???

The sun is finally shining in DC! Yesterday I was able to go see the world famous...cherry blossoms in Washington DC. Man it was the coolest thing ever! You know how you see things in pictures and you just never imagine you will be in a picture with it...yeah that just happened to me.

Springtime is here and you can smell it in the air. As soon as we got out of the car to go check out the cherry blossoms, something seemed familiar to me. It had been so long to see a nice sunny day outside that I almost forgot what it was like! Immediately my thoughts started going back last spring time. EASTER! My favorite time of the year...let me tell you why:
1-I like being warm and tan
2-My weird passion of mowing lawns gets to come un-hibernated
2a-I get really attractive Mormon tan lines
3- Come on...who doesn't love Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs.
4- Someone may have a birthday in the month of April and is a little obsessed with it
5-Basketball tournaments every weekend. Can it get any better than that? Believe it or not...it can. Wait for it...
6-Easter time is a time we can all reflect on the Saviors birth and sacrifice for us.

If you notice...numbers 1-5 are all worldly things. Yet, sometimes we catch ourselves, as I did, focusing on these matters more than what's of eternal importance. These things I listed aren't bad things...Heavenly Father wants us to find joy in this life and if sports, chocolate or tan lines do that for you then I'm sure He is happy for us. However, what I fail to remember sometimes is what will matter to me most after this life.

It's not going to be the time we beat a national ranked basketball team. Or what I got for my 21st birthday...it's going to be centered on God's plan for us which is made possible through the atonement of Jesus Christ. #BecauseofHim (if you haven't seen that enough of facebook!), we can all change. He literally made it possible for us, as imperfect humans, to eventually become perfect and return to live with God again if we follow his teachings. I'm sure He didn't necessary want to have to suffer all He did, but He still did it willingly because of His love for us and I will always be in debt for that.

Please take time to watch this movie if you haven't yet. And while you're out there having your Easter egg hunt, think just a little more about the Savior this year. There is a lot this world can offer us...but nothing close to what our Savior offered us. It is the supreme expression of love from our Heavenly Father and brother, Jesus Christ. The gift of eternal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment